Review Policy

Monday, November 2, 2015

Review: Recipes for a perfect marriage

Recipes for a perfect marriage by Kate Kerrigan
Publisher: Head of Zeus
Release date: November 1, 2015
My rating: 4
Buy here: Amazon



Synopsis:
New York food writer Tressa returns from honeymoon worried that she has married her impossibly handsome new husband Dan out of late-thirties panic instead of love.
In 1930's Ireland, her grandmother, Bernadine, is married off to the local schoolteacher after her family are unable to raise a dowry for her to marry her true love, Michael.
During the first year of her marriage, Tressa distracts herself from her stay-or-go dilemma by working on her grandmother's recipes, searching for solace and answers through their preparation.
Through the stories of these two women RECIPES FOR A PERFECT MARRIAGE challenges the modern ideal of romantic love as a given and ponders whether true love can really be learned.

My Thoughts:
I've been a fan of Kate Kerrigan since Ellis Island and when I was asked to review this book, I jumped at the chance. Tressa wanted to be married and a family, so she basically "settled" for the first man to love her. Only it turned out that Dan, her new husband, annoyed her and she begins to question why she married him to begin with. I really did not like Tressa at the beginning of this book, but as I read on, she became more real to me and I started understanding her better. Everyone knows that marriage isn't perfect or easy, and your spouse will annoy you and there will be times that you want to run away, but it's all worth it. Tressa realized that she did love Dan, she was just looking at all the bad and not the good. I loved how this book switched between Tressa and Bernadine. This book was thought-provoking and sweet read for a lazy day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment