Review Policy

Friday, May 27, 2016

Mini Review: Start with the backbeat by Garube B. Isassi

Release date: April 6, 2016
Publisher: She Writes Press
My Rating: 3
Buy here: Amazon

Synopsis:
It is the spring of 1989 in New York City when Jill Dodge, a post-punk rocker from Texas, finally gets her big promotion at Mega Big Records. She is thrust into a race to find a gritty, urban rapper before the “Gangsta” trend passes their label by. As Jill and her mostly middle-class coworkers search for the next big rap star, they fluctuate between alliances and rivalries, tripping over the stereotypes of race, class, and musical genre. They work to promote their current roster of acts as well as the new rap artist they sign to a contract. It turns out, he may not be what they expected. Full of original lyrics and wit, Start With the Backbeat is a compelling examination of the nuances of class, race, and culture in America―which are sometimes ridiculously serious.

My Thoughts:
I had really high hopes for this book, while it was a good read, I just kinda found my mind wondering while reading it. Which took me even longer to finish it than it should have. The characters were exciting, but something was just amiss for me :(

No comments:

Post a Comment